May 26

What Comes Next

Hi everyone,

To simply state it, summer is here and I will be logging off until August and until the next semester comes back around. It seems so long from now, but I’m sure in time this will seem like “just yesterday” in three months and as exciting as that is, it’s also kind of nerve wrecking.

I have so many plans for this summer!! A lot of them will include simply making contact with a lot of professors from PhD programs of interest to me. This isn’t a requirement for all PhD programs, but many do encourage PhD applicants to reach out to professors from that program and find a research commonality. I have my heart set on one program in particular (****) but I am going to give myself the option to explore so many other programs. I don’t want to let my own feelings cloud my prospects. I would let the bear out of the bag but once process gets nearer :)! I also don’t know if my goal is to start a PhD program in fall 2021 either. I have so much figuring out to do, but I think I will be applying nonetheless. I also am going to be looking into fellowship/internships/volunteerships. I want to put my education to work but not necessarily by joining the 9-5 life just yet! I want to travel, learn, give back, and if there are any opportunities out there, please do not hesitate to let me know :)!

That said, this summer is also going to be a summer of SELF-CARE. I am going to make it my mission to change so many things about me. From my diet to my social media habits, things are going to change for the better. I want to dedicate x amount of time doing things (consistently) that will help me in the future. This not only includes physical activities, but also mental ones such as practicing or reciting a new word in German or French or Portuguese. With all the time spent at home, I want to pick up a new skill and why not try to learn a new language while getting back to running a few miles a week? I also want to better my Spanish so I will be taking advantage of Amazon Prime and setting up a Kindle account AND the online data base CSU Stan offers students to read articles, journals, book chapters, and whatever else I can access! I am going to focus so much time reading and I am so excited!! I feel that through reading for leisure, my writing will improve and that is another objective of mine for this summer. This is also something I want to improve in general and in particular for PhD applications! I want to learn how to write about myself in a way that tells a story, not in a way that is so academic and so “stiff”.

There are so many things I want to do summer 2020 I don’t even know where to begin. I am definitely eager for this summer, though, because unless I start a PhD program fall 2021, this will be my last official summer as a student for a while and I’m scared!! Every summer, the months of May-August represent time to rejuvenate my spirits and mind. I am not reading for my summer to be just another few months in the year… that is something I’m looking forward to just yet.

Well, thank you all for joining me this semester!! I can’t wait to be back and give everyone updates on things I’ve worked on :)!!

Posted May 26, 2020 by mannyscsustan in category Uncategorized

1 thoughts on “What Comes Next

1. Neesha

Have a great summer, Manny! It has been so much fun reading your posts this year. It sounds like you’re going to be busy over the summer. Make sure to take some time to relax and enjoy the time off!

Reply