May 1

For Anthony

I came to CSU Stan knowing no one. I went to undergrad over 200 miles away from Stan State’s campus, and all my friends were nowhere near Turlock. I told myself in grad school I would not make friends because grad school would be nothing like undergrad. I thought I would just show up to Stan State for class then head home, and repeat this process weekly. I never expected myself to make such a good friend. His name is Anthony.

In many ways, Anthony represented all that is good with this university. He was a first generation student. He finished his BA at Stan, then went on to complete his Masters’ here because he just loved the school so much and because he knew he would be able to excel at this university.

I met Anthony during my first year at Stan State, in fall 2019.

In early fall 2019 I joined a participatory action research (PAR) group. This is where I met Anthony. The faculty of the MSW program were leading the PAR group. “If I want to impress a PhD program, I need to take on all the research opportunities that exist!” I told myself when contemplating joining; so I did. The PAR experience itself was what I thought it would be: at times emotional, other times very academic.

A month had gone by into the semester, and the only person that really spoke to me outside of class and PAR was Anthony. He made me feel so seen. Whenever I was feeling down and/or unmotivated to continue with my masters program, Anthony would remind me to think of all the reasons why I made the big decision to take it on. Anthony had such a way of grounding me, while validating my feelings and experiences, and helping me see the bigger picture (which I’m not surprised by, he did complete his masters in counseling, but his way of interacting with people came natural). Quickly, I realized Anthony was probably one of my only few friends at Stan State. I have always believed in quality over quantity, so I was not upset that I personally did not meet that many people, because the few that I did, including Anthony, were very genuine and supportive people.

Unfortunately, Anthony ended up passing away after being involved in car accident right outside Stan State’s campus this spring semester. He had just graduated and was working in a field he was very passionate about. While I am sad to have lost one of my only friends at this university, I try find solace by reminding myself who he was while at Stan State and the positive impact he had on me and anyone whose life he touched. He filled so many people with happiness and positivity no matter his own personal struggles as a recent graduate. He always offered space and made sure to check up on his friends. Anthony will forever be a prime example of all the good that does exist at this university.

My time as a Stan State student is coming to an end. I am graduating in only just a few weeks. Anthony was a big part of my time at Stan State, and I could not end my time as a blogger without having mentioned the powerful and moving person that he was at least once. This blog is for my friend, one of the ultimate Warriors I’ll have ever known, Anthony.

Posted May 1, 2021 by mannyscsustan in category Uncategorized

1 thoughts on “For Anthony

1. astoeckl

Manny, this really touched my heart. I’m sorry for your loss, he made a big impact on your life that you’ll carry forever. He was a true warrior! Thank you for sharing!

Reply