May 19

A Note to Incoming First-Gen, CSU Stan Students

As I sit here today, now having finished my first year of grad school, I am look back at the years and months leading up to my freshman year of college, and I find that I cannot be more proud of myself for this huge accomplishment in my life.

Growing up as a first-generation (everything), I was exposed to so many struggles, including school deficiencies. As I reflect, I accept that I thought I’d never enroll in college, and while I want to be upset at myself for those thoughts, a much more youthful, less aware, and lost me refused to give in and pushed through. Therefore, I cannot be upset, as the tenacity within me jumped out and prevailed.

For those of you who are still working towards your degree, or are in high-school and dreaming about achieving a higher education, don’t relinquish that. It all starts with an idea or a dream. Education is a door, kick it open. The struggles, the one too many school deficiencies, and many other aspects of my upbringing are all experiences that should make us eager and ambitious to pursue a higher education.

All I’ve endured has taught me about resilience, humility, dedication, and discipline. This pandemic has only pronounced that. I thought there was no way I would be able to commit to my education any longer now that everything is online, but I refuse to give up. I still have the privilege to pursue my masters, and I am not going to allow that opportunity go in vain. I am going to take it and run with it.

To all the incoming CSU Stan students, welcome to a new beginning and era in your life. What you’ll find at Stan State is that unlike many other schools where your time as a student can easily be buried in silence, is a university built with the student experience anchored in every possible way. At Stan, your voice will be elevated, your needs will be met, and your goals will be accomplished. To all the incoming CSU Stan students, especially those who’ve been faced with one too many obstacles leading up to where you are now, the student experience is yours and mold it the way you see fit! These next few years will be all yours. You got this!

Posted May 19, 2020 by mannyscsustan in category Uncategorized